[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 17:25:51 BST 2010

On 05/04/2010 16:38, Tim François wrote:
> So then the question is: what's more of a problem? Features with no
> name, or no features at all? Personally, I'd rather see the road on the
> map with no name than not see a road at all, especially when using the
> maps for in-car navigation.

Which would you rather see:
* A map with just streets (maybe including names)

or a map with:
* streets and names
* speed limits
* turn restrictions
* postboxes
* shops
* leisure facilities
* tourist attractions
* footpaths
* bridleways
* litter bins
...et cetera

If someone who is completely new to OSM sees the streets in their area
complete, they may assume the map is complete and there's nothing for
them to do.

If you're going to trace an area, you should be in a position to fill in
the rest of the details, otherwise you're just taking the low-hanging
fruit and leaving the hard stuff for someone else. Lots of mappers *do*
do this, but putting off potential mappers is a good reason not to go
charging into imports and/or tracing, or any other sort of non-survey
based mapping.

Besides, how do you know the source you're tracing is correct?

--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)