[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 18:43:33 BST 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Tim François <sk1ppy14 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> The idea of OSM, as I see it, is to create a free-as-in-speech map of the world. All data which goes into the map must be the same sort of 'free'. Whether that be surveying or "copying other people's maps" is irrelevant - the end goal is to create a complete map.

It's not irrelevant. There are many of us who believe, and have much
evidence to show, that making the map in a certain way produces
superior results. We're not interested in building a crappy-but-free
map of the world (see TIGER) but in an awesome-and-free map of the
world. And if there are things that seem to help but actually don't
(see imports) then many of us will defend the ultimate end-goal - the
awesome-and-free map.

However, I disagree with the crowd on the tracing of OS Street View.
Crack on with it, and make a good job of it. But if you're going to
trace areas that you've got no knowledge of or intention to visit,
then take it apon yourself to increase the awesomeness of the mapping
- maybe organise a mapping party, or write to their local paper asking
for help or somesuch.

Cheers,
Andy