[Talk-GB] building shapes from OS Street View

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 5 20:22:51 BST 2010

Kevin Peat wrote:
>Sent: 05 April 2010 7:50 PM
>To: David Earl; Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] building shapes from OS Street View
>
>In the absence of vector data I agree that a controlled way of auto-tracing
>the building outlines (a JOSM plug-in would be ideal for me) is the way to
>go.

But what is the point of just doing building=yes. Does that really add to
OSM? Surely tracing buildings (with aids or not) would be better associated
with address data inclusion rather than just making a pretty map?

>For my area, unless something like this comes along there will never be
>building outlines in OSM as the local demographics mean mappers are in
>short supply and I can't imagine that those that there are would want to
>manually trace 10s of thousands of buildings anyway.
>
>I don't think the "we shouldn't sully OSM with OS data" argument stands up
>as looking at my area (Devon) most of the coastline + almost all names of
>natural features and numerous other stuff has come from the NPE and 1st
>Edition maps.  The StreetView coastline and waterways data is way better
>than what we currently have here and unless there is better data coming in
>the near future then we should trace this stuff in asap.

Which is fine in the absence of anything else, or dedicated mappers on the
ground. Eventually mappers will visit those areas and improve them, I
regularly do and I'm often removing the NPE tags because I have a better
source or an actual tracklog.

Cheers

Andy