[Talk-GB] Separation of sources

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 00:29:59 BST 2010

With all of the current excitement over OS OpenData, I have been
thinking about how tracing, imports, etc, affect what data is actually
surveyed.

In my mind, I’m preferring having a project where data is obtained
purely from ground survey, other projects dealing with other sources of
data, and maybe another project to combine them.

I’m a fan of ground surveys, and think they mostly tend to produce
better results when available, so I may be a little bit biased.  Having
a project dedicated to ground survey means less chance of peoples’ hard
work being trodden over by people tracing maps from the 60’s, or trying
to make out features from poor resolution aerial imagery.

Combining the data, however, will have more of an overhead than if all
data was contributed to one project in the first place.  This might
deter people from the idea, but is it really that bad?  Ground surveyed
data tends to be more accurate.  If people want other sources so much,
won’t they encourage the effort to combine the independent sources?

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall