[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 23:04:49 BST 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 15:28, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> On 05/04/10 15:43, Tim François wrote:
>> I understand that with an area mapped there is less impetus to head on
>> over and start making tracks and surveying. But just leaving the area
>> blank when we have this fantastic opportunity to populate seems silly,
>> no? This far down the line, it doesn't look like there are any mappers
>> in the immediate area of which I was talking about.
>
> I speak from personal experience - when we first got the Yahoo imagery I
> enthusiastically traced the nearest largely unmapped area to me (Harlow)
> from the images. That was several years ago and to this day most of the
> roads in Harlow exist but are unnamed because nobody has taken up the baton.

In the only London meet-up I've been to I spoke at length to a person
whose main contribution to OSM is adapting her walks around London to
Yahoo! streetname surveying.

While I understand what you're saying I think it's also important to
recognize that we all have different ways to contribute. Some
potential OSM contributors may not be interested in on-the-ground
surveying, and some aren't interested in chair mapping.

The two can compliment each other.