[Talk-GB] West Mids Ward Boundaries

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Apr 7 13:36:52 BST 2010

On 7 April 2010 12:08, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) <
ajrlists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> What I'm meaning by verification is interrogating the boundary line with
> the
> features already mapped on the ground. In many cases we know where the back
> of gardens are for instance, or the position of a water course, railway
> line
> or a parish boundary. Many other boundaries, including Ward boundaries, tie
> in with these features. So, for example, if a boundary actually follows a
> stream and the stream is in OSM, then logically our boundary should follow
> the stream, even if the OS have a slightly different alignment for the
> feature.

Oh right, yes, I'm with you now. It does need to be imported, but can be
checked and in places brought into line with other features *with great care
*.

In my experience most ward boundaries go between streets, down the middle of
a street, along a natural feature such as a stream, parallel to a railway
line, or quite often they just jump across "empty" space following no
particular feature. They also sometimes switch from going down the middle of
a street to taking in both sides, which will again mean mappers will need to
be very careful about changing them.

Tom