[Talk-GB] VectorMap District: Completely crazy idea, maybe, but...

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Apr 11 07:13:04 BST 2010

Dave F. wrote:
> Mike Harris wrote:
>>   The lack of public right of way information is disappointing - but it
>> is within OSM's capabilities to walk and map it. However, the lack of
>> field boundary information is a serious deficiency as these are
>> invaluable in practice to walkers attempting to plan, navigate, record
>> and publish walks - especially in the more lowland and more farmed
>> areas. Without the OS's right to enter onto private land without any
>> advance permission, OSM mappers will remain seriously hampered in any
>> attempt to map field boundaries. Hedges may be visible in good quality
>> satellite or aerial photography but fences (and especially electric
>> fences) will be very difficult.
>
> I agree field boundaries are valuable for walkers, but only those
> abutting or near PROWS are relevant&  these are obviously obtainable by
> walking there. Spring is in the air, put your boots on a go walking!

A lot of footpaths around here go straight across fields, so mapping them with
GPS is quite legal, but adding the landmark field boundaries is something that
would take you of the designated path so would be useful to add from some other
source.

The other activity around here is 'aerial', such as microlight and hot air
ballooning, and in those cases CHANGES to fied boundaries - which these days are
not as stable as even OS would seem to imply - are something that would be very
useful to be able to maintain. Just like my tom-tom no longer routes over the
new roads locally, but OSM has the correct tracks!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL