[Talk-GB] OS StreetView accuracy: caution!

David Ellams osmlists at dellams.fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 11 14:50:23 BST 2010

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 19:00:43 +0100 Kevin Peat <kevin at kevinpeat.com>
wrote:

> It seems odd to me that we are encouraging people to contribute using
> often
> pretty rubbish mobile phone gps receivers but complaining that the OS
> data
> is not sub-metre accurate.

I don't think sub-metre accuracy is what anyone is concern about when it
comes to Street View. I think it is generally accepted that OS has very
high precision (at least provided the map or data set is used at the
scale for which it is intended). The accuracy concerns raised have
generally been about whether mapping is up-to-date or contains other
errors. I don't think anyone here is saying don't use the OS Opendata
stuff*, just urging sensible caution in its use, just as sensible
caution should be used when using any other secondary source, or indeed
when relying on GPS traces! An example of not being cautious might be
seeing that a road on OSM has a different name than it does on OS, and
changing OSM even though it is clear the road name in OSM comes from a
ground survey, without doing your own ground survey to verify.

David

* I do have some concern over compatibility with the ODBL, but I think I
am in a minority of one, and I haven't had a chance to examine
thoroughly enough, and IANAL.