[Talk-GB] Reminder: Three Counties Mapping party (Haslemere, Surrey) this Saturday

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Apr 12 17:36:59 BST 2010

Hello everyone,

Just a reminder that the Three Counties mapping party is taking place this
Saturday 17th April at Haslemere, Surrey meeting 9.30am in the Costa
Coffee on Haslemere High Street.
Background: Surrey, West Sussex and Hampshire is increasingly well mapped
in OpenStreetMap with good coverage of towns, roads and rural rights of
way. However, a number of the towns and villages in the border area of the
three counties are only about 50% complete, and given their relatively
small size, could probably be polished off in a day. With many towns and
villages in these counties well-done, this party would plug a useful gap
and give a near-complete OSM map of the area; footpath coverage in this
area is already notably good.
Aims: This mapping party seeks to complete road coverage within the towns
and villages of Haslemere, Midhurst, and Liphook. (As an amendment to the
original plan, Hindhead, Milford and Witley seem to be practically
complete now so there is no longer any need to focus on those areas) There
is also scope for completing footpaths in the vicinities of the towns,
e.g. Midhurst Common, outside Midhurst.
I have added a number of the areas which require surveying to
OpenStreetBugs.
Getting there: Haslemere has four trains an hour from Guildford, Woking
and London Waterloo. Connections available at Woking for most other parts
of central southern England. There are two fast trains and one slow from
Portsmouth.
Once there, if you do not have a car and you are going out of Haslemere,
there is an hourly bus to Midhurst (on the hour, approximately, from
Haslemere) and hourly train to Liphook.
There will also be the opportunity to learn about OpenTrailView
(basically, StreetView for footpaths) and even contribute - let me know on
the day if you're interested.
Provisional timetable:
9.30am - 10am (at the latest - please ring me on 07950 347717 if you're
going to be late) meet;
10.30am - 6pm map; lunch arrangements TBA due to the scattered nature of
the mapping area (there are 3 small towns/villages to complete); evening:
drinks/meal TBA

Nick