[Talk-GB] Codepoint Open and postboxes

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Apr 13 09:57:00 BST 2010

On 13/04/10 09:49, Roger Slevin wrote:

> I can assure you there are postcodes which represent postboxes which is why
> Codepoint has a flag for them - but this quite important flag is not present
> in Codepoint Open. The PO Box number is something completely different - but
> each will have either a shared postcode (with other PO Boxes) or a unique
> postcode (for bulk recipients) - but in both cases the coordinates are those
> of the "delivery point" which is in the sorting office.   I know we have had
> to ensure that we exclude them from public facing information services such
> as traveline and Transport Direct (in which I am involved) .... but I don't
> have access to the raw data to be able to test whether the codes have been
> omitted from Codepoint Open, or whether they remain there with the location
> set at the sorting office.

I think I can answer "yes" to your question... In the Dracos list a few
postboxes do indeed have postcodes show, for example EN11 8ER for one
near me at Bridle Way North (postbox EN11 106) which is here:

   http://osm.org/go/euvurWOSt--?m

That postcode is (according to www.uk-postcodes.com) in Code Point Open
but at this location:

   http://osm.org/go/euvr_QbtL--?m

Which just happens to be the location of the local delivery office ;-)

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/