[Talk-GB] Workington Bridges

Russ Phillips russ at phillipsuk.org
Wed Apr 21 10:34:17 BST 2010

After the November floods, the map of Workington [1] in Cumbria was
updated very quickly to show the state of the bridges, and the
location of the temporary road bridge that was to be built. I've just
read on the BBC news site [2] that the temporary bridge is to open
today, at 10:30. Can a local please update the map? I'm wary of
changing it remotely.

I'm giving a presentation/demonstration on OSM to my local LUG soon,
and I'd really like to use this as an example of how OSM can be better
than commercial maps, especially since TomTom's VP of ecommerce told
PC Pro "There are services like OpenStreetMap, and it's good, but
sometimes there's not a bridge when it told you there would be." [3],
and their map of Workington still routes people over the damaged
bridges :)

Russ

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.64893&lon=-3.54955&zoom=16
[2] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/8627276.stm