[Talk-GB] OS Boundaries

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Apr 25 07:57:50 BST 2010

Dave F. wrote:
> Lester Caine wrote:
>> But well mapped rivers don't have ways down their middle
>
> Really?
> Care to expand on that please?

MOST rivers are now being mapped fully and so are areas rather than a line with
some arbitrary width. So there is no 'way' corresponding to some arbitrary mid
point to the river ...

>> Even more important, we need a way to maintain historic information
>> such as '1995 boundary' where later boundaries are different.
>
> Why do we need to do that?
> I delete out of date data.
> Please explain why you think we should keep it?

Just because YOU are not using the data does not entitle you to delete it!
The whole reason *I* am interested in OSM is as a base for documenting my
genealogical data. Being able to check a location at some point in time is
important and while many of the attempts to get time data properly tagged have
not been accepted, simple information like 'constructed=1980' would at least
allow maps to be rendered to provide a view in a particular year. ONCE that is
possible, then the related boundary information is also important.

> If a footpath gets moved do you think I should still show a way & mark
> it as 'this is where it used to go'?
'closed=2007' makes perfect sense to me. People then coming back to an area that
they walked 30 years ago would then see why they can't follow the same route today?

Just like 'micromapping', historic information may not be of interest to
everybody, but moving forward, why would you NOT want to maintain data that has
already been mapped. We just need agreement on how it is maintained - since the
'history' of object edits is simply no substitute for mapping historic data.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL