[Talk-GB] OS Locator - using in JOSM

Paul Williams pjwderby at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 25 13:29:50 BST 2010

I've now used the OS Locator data to create a table (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/Derby/Abbey Ward) to detail the progress
in mapping the roads in an area and use it to help identify the roads
which are not mapped.

I don't know whether this has been done anywhere else, but others
might find such a table to be useful in their local area. It can be
used to help keep track of not just which streets are mapped and which
are not, but also whether amenities and shops etc and addresses have
been mapped on any particular street, and recording when they were
last mapped or checked to see how up-to-date the OSM data is. Creating
the table of street names is fairly quick if you do it by importing
the OS Locator data, though checking which streets have been mapped is
more time consuming.

To do this I followed the instructions on the wiki page
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ordnance_Survey_Opendata#OS_Locator)
to create a spreadsheet of the local OS Locator data. I edited the
spreadsheet to remove unwanted columns and add columns for information
I wanted to add. The spreadsheet was then sorted by ward area followed
by street name (I decided to split the data by ward, as otherwise the
table would be huge!). To put this into the wiki I used the Copy &
Paste Excel-to-Wiki Converter website (http://excel2wiki.net), which
also works with OpenOffice.org Calc, to create a table and simply
pasted the wiki code into the OSM wiki on a subpage of my city. I'm
thinking of creating these pages for each ward in Derby, (after
waiting to see if there are any comments on the first page I created).

Cheers
Paul
(Paul The Archivist)