[Talk-GB] Postcodes to Shapefile

Kev js1982 osm at kevswindells.eu
Mon Apr 26 12:00:48 BST 2010

I am currently trying to create a series of shapefiles from postcodes (using
OS Open Geo Data) using the code from "Random Junk" (
http://random.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodes/#) running on Ubuntu 9.10 but
I can't get it working.

What I have done so far is to create a folder called /home/kev/osm

In this folder is "makeShapeColoured.py"

Prompted by http://www.mail-archive.com/talk@openstreetmap.org/msg20932.htmlI
have downloaded the pyshapelib from
http://ftp.intevation.de/users/bh/pyshapelib/pyshapelib-0.3.tar.gz (the URL
appears to have changed when compared with the mail archive post), which has
been extracted into the same folder and then renamed shapelib (i.e. there
exists a file called /home/kev/osm/shapelib/shapelib.py ).

If I then run

$ python makeShapeColoured.py

I get the following message

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "makeShapeColoured.py", line 34, in <module>
    import shapelib.shapelib as shp, shapelib.dbflib as dbf
ImportError: No module named shapelib.shapelib

I'm guessing this is because the "python binding" needs installing - but
which binding?  Google seams to bring back results about the subversion,
gdal and not just a generic python bindings - has anyone any ideas what
needs to be done here?

Install is a standard (English/GB) installation of Ubuntu running inside
Virtual Box which has had the following command run
sudo aptitude install openssh-server python python-mapnik mapnik-utils
libmapnik-dev python-dev
and all the respective dependencies installed.

Hopefully converting it to running on the OS projection will be as simple as
changing the project line!

Regards,

Kev