[Talk-GB] Postcodes to Shapefile

Jerry Clough - OSM sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 15:13:33 BST 2010

GRASS seems to have some kind of Voronoi algorithm, but I find its interface very non-intuitive, so have not found it to try it out. This may be worth pursuing as an alternative route.

As an aside: I notice that virtually all postcode boundaries are obviously created in this way. For instance the Philips Street Atlas shows totally implausible boundaries along the River Trent in S. Notts. Given that postcode boundaries are ultimately determined by logistically sensible walks for postmen, in this case it's pretty safe to assume that the boundary is actually the river. What this means is that by applying a bit of local knowledge and the existing points it is possible to create better delineating zones in OSM than appear in current mapping. Whether this is a good thing to do, or not, I leave for others to decide.