[Talk-GB] Matching OS Locator with OSM data

Tim François sk1ppy14 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 28 18:20:06 BST 2010

I've noticed that sometimes there are discrepancies even between OS data. For example, there is a VAN DIEMENS LANE here in Bath. Here are three sources of names:

OSM name: VAN DIEMENS LANE
OS StreetView name: VAN DIEMENS LANE
OS Locator name: VAN DIEMEN'S LANE

So the OS Locator data adds an apostrophe, whereas StreetView leaves it off!

Slightly related:
1) I assume that to check these discrepancies we take the street name from the sign actually on the street as being the ultimate source?
2) What's the standard on St? As in saint? Should there be a period after, or not? Or is this answered by my first question?

Thanks
Tim