[Talk-GB] Bristol - a quick (and surprising?) statistic...

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Tue Aug 3 09:01:18 BST 2010

Dave F. <davefox at ...> writes:

>>You could then note that there are various farm tracks outside the village
>>which have names in OSL, missing on OSM and not in the Royal Mail postcode
>>list: Long Lane, Ouse Fen Road or Bank, Long Holme Drove, Long Drove.
>>There is no evidence for these names on the ground.
>
>Personally, I would have no problem adding these to OSM.
>I think OSL is more accurate than the RM.
>Just because there's no sign on the ground it doesn't mean its nameless.

Yes.  Often in rural areas you will find local people refer to particular roads
by well-known names, even though there is no street sign for them anywhere.
Street nameplates are a somewhat townie concept.

You might want to tag as name=X unsigned=yes if you want to make it clear that
although the road is named there is no 'on the ground' indication of that.  I'd
probably only do that in cities, since in the countryside having a name sign is
the exception not the rule.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>