[Talk-GB] Local walking routes

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Aug 5 11:20:56 BST 2010

David Ellams wrote:
> With one exception, the routes themselves are not
> signed/marked (though they follow waymarked paths).

Don't tag them unless they're waymarked, _unless_ either they're proposed to
be waymarked (in which case you could do so with a "state=proposed" tag on
the relation), or there are such massive numbers of people trudging the
route that you can ascertain it by watching them. Probably unlikely in
Pontesbury. ;)

If they are waymarked, there's no need to add the "network=lwn" tag unless
there genuinely is a network.

(To cite an example near you: the waymarked routes in and around Church
Stretton could sensibly be given route relations, and because they're part
of the town's Walkers Are Welcome network, I think a "network=lwn" tag would
be justified.)

One of the "it would be great if someone had the time to..." tasks is to
make it easy for people to 'mash up' routes outside OSM like this.
Theoretically you can already do it with OpenLayers, but the route breaks if
any of the way ids change.

cheers
Richard