[Talk-GB] Definitive source for UK streetnames? - OS, 'road name signs', or a council 'list'?

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 19:13:38 BST 2010

I recall an intriguing case from one of the very first mapping parties in
Rutland.

The mapping party was held at Oakam Museum in Catmos Street.  It's always
been called Catmos Street.  It's referred to as Catmos Street in a Francis
Frith photo from the 1950s and it was still called Catmos Street in the
1970s when I actually lived there for a while.  Trouble is Oakham is located
in the middle of the Vale of Catmose, with an E, so many people think the
road name is wrong.  So what's it called today?

1.  On the ground it is clearly shown as Catmos Street on three separate
street signs.
2.  OSM had it as Catmos Street from 2006 until 2009 when it was changed to
Catmose Street.
3.  Oakham Library, which is on this road, refers to it as Catmos Street.
4.  Rutland Museum, which is on this road, refers to it as Catmose Street.

Fortunately Rutland County Council's offices are also on this road so we can
be sure of a definitive answer from them.  Their website refers to it as
just ... Catmose.

And just around the corner Catmos(e) Park Road has two street signs.  One
labelled Catmos Park Road and the other Catmose Park Road.

As for Google Maps, well they refer to it as Uppingham Road.

80n