[Talk-GB] Yet more musical chairs updates.

Robert Scott lists at humanleg.org.uk
Mon Aug 9 16:36:45 BST 2010

On Monday 09 August 2010, Tim François wrote:
> A big start would be to explain the two major features of the UI:

The way I feel about UIs is if you have to "explain" anything then you've already failed, so...

> what the colours mean (actually writing "a green area means: blah, blah")

I thought this would be pretty discoverable - it actually gives you a sort of legend in the detail view, showing you a coloured bullet and a textual description of the match.

Surely the pattern of use would go "what does that colour mean?" *click* - look at information it gave you - "ah."

> and what the squares and circles mean. And with that I mean explaining on the webpage, not here in the mailing list.

I should probably make it more obvious that you're switching between views. There isn't a lot of space for long textual descriptions.

Perhaps the best thing for me to do is write an FAQ page.

> Oh, and an option to turn off all the 'correct' green squares/circles - surely that's just wasting resources for the average user?

Minimal I would say.

You can switch non-authoritative modes to show bad matches first, in which case it will usually show just red circles.

But seeing as this is principally just an interface to OS Locator, I think it should always show everything from OS Locator whenever it can.

robert.