[Talk-GB] Reporting Errors to OS - Feedback

Tim Francois sk1ppy14 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 13:57:58 BST 2010

List,

Just thought I'd share some feedback of my experience of reporting errors in
the OS OpenData products back to OS.

If I stumble across an error, I report it through customerservices at ord­
nancesurvey.co.uk. So far I've done this twice, both times with a couple of
errors in each email.

The first time I got a reply from the OS saying that they would be looking
into the matter. Since then, I've heard nothing. The second time, however,
was a bit more 'successful' - I just received the following email:

<os email>
"Thank you for your email.

We have amended our OS Locator and OS StreetView data as requested and the
amendments will be available in the next release.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring this issue to our
attention. We appreciate all feedback from our customers, especially that
which enables us to improve the accuracy of our mapping."
</os email>

I sent the second email on 28th July, and got the above reply today (after
an initial "Thanks, we'll look into it" kind of email) - about 2 weeks. It
seems like they do appreciate these types of emails, though this could of
course just be PR...

Anyway, just thought I'd share, and encourage anyone who's using OS OpenData
products (esp. StreetView and OS Locator) to report any errors to OS when
you find them. Errors in the data have been mentioned many times in this
list, so I hope these are all being passed on to OS..!!

Additionally, I also added the errors to the OSM Catalog of Errors (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Catalog_of_Errors). However, now I'm not
sure if that's the right thing to do anymore - once it gets fixed in OS,
shouldn't we be taking down the error from the Catalog?

Cheers
Tim