[Talk-GB] The last 2%

Bob Kerr openstreetmapcraigmillar at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 11:53:55 BST 2010

Hi,
I have been using the OS_locator and musical chairs tools to focus on the areas of Edinburgh that needed checking. I have also been using the ITO analysis tool to check my progress.
http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/osm_analysis/
All of these have been very useful and much appreciated
I use the boundaries shown in
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/viewer/
to focus my attention in one area
In Edinburgh we have about 87 roads to go. I know that there are many of these roads that conflict with the OS_Opendata names. This is due mainly to spelling, roads with two names, new builds that need survey etc.
I believe that there are more roads marked as not in OSM than are marked in OS_Locator about 20 in the case of Edinburgh. I thought this may have been service roads or unnamed roads further outside the city, I found many of these but these do not seem to affect the scores of the OSM_analysis. I am not sure if this is me just missing roads or OS  database data quirks
Are there any hints or insights that people can give me to help me find the last few roads.
Once I have brought the number down I can then check with the council and have "Street sign, Official Council name, and OS_OpendData name" and then be able to report to OS.
On a slightly different note is there any plans to have the OS_locator squares marked as a dashed line if there is a tag present that says not:name. This would be useful for me to show that a street has already been checked
Many thanks
Bob