[Talk-GB] Why I'm not currently using OS Opendat as a source WAS The last 2%

Robert Whittaker (OSM) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 16:08:34 BST 2010

>>> However, that doesn't change the fact that the OS OpenData license is
>>> incompatible with the contributor terms, and DbCL, and quite possibly
>>> ODbL too.
>>>
>> I thought this was still to be confirmed?  It may not be that important to
>> townies but there is a lot of value in the OS data for rural mappers
>> (woods,
>> streams, rivers, coastline, etc.) and it is a crucial issue for me.
>
> It is still to be confirmed.  The situation at the moment is there is no
> guarantee that OS OpenData is compatible with the CT's.

IMO it's clear that the current OS license does not allow you to
contribute the data under either the current OSM Contributor Terms, or
the DbCL part of the license. (I'd also argue that the produced works
terms in ODbL are incompatible with the OS license too, but that's
less clear.)

What isn't clear yet is whether either side will be prepared to
compromise to allow information derived from OS OpenData products to
be kept in OSM.

I am hopeful that OS will allow use under ODbL+DbCL, but I personally
can't see them agreeing to any contributor terms that don't guarantee
attribution.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker