[Talk-GB] Why I'm not currently using OS Opendat as a source WAS The last 2%

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Mon Aug 23 09:01:19 BST 2010

Tom Chance <tom at ...> writes:

>I have been contributing stacks of data using the OS StreetView data on the
>assumption that - having been discussed, put on the wiki and into Potlatch, it
>was OK. Now I hear from Etienne that I might have to drop out of OpenStreetMap
>because my user account may not be compatible with the new terms, and that I
>cannot agree to those new terms with which I agree?If true, this is a bit
>crazy.

The whole licensing thing is a bit crazy IMHO.

But I don't think you need worry.  Whatever the legalities of the situation,
and even allowing for the high-handed behaviour of the OSMF, nobody would be
crazy enough to throw out all the Ordnance Survey data (after so many lobbied
to open it up) in order to indulge some amateur-lawyering pedantry.  It's just
not going to happen.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>