[Talk-GB] Address list

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Dec 11 07:13:29 GMT 2010

Chris Hill wrote:
> A new national Address list is to be created for England & Wales.
>
> http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/newsroom/1786564

While the postcode location data has now been released, 'addresses' based on
postcode is still licensed by Royal Mail and I think it is quite right that THEY
are allowed to manage the 'PAF' (Postal Address File) which lists all of the
locations they recognise to deliver to. The National Street Gazetteer is the
basis for National Address Gazetteer or I think more accurately the National
Land and Property Gazetteer. These cover 'addresses' in a different way so that
all land can be identified and the reference to 'emergency services' is
important here since in rural areas 'postcode' is not always even able to
identify a building on fire if it has no postal existence.

Bottom line ... I think there is a 'gap' in the datasets that are being created
which we can hopefully fill using the osm database. That is returning postcodes
for addresses in a search. The one thing that I think 'free the postcode' failed
on was not collecting the street name along with the location.

The question is, should we be adding postcode tags to existing street ways, or
simply building a searchable database of street names to go with the existing
geolocation table from OS? I am already building my own database, but a central
facility would seem appropriate.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL