[Talk-GB] Street name disagreement - whose right or wrong?

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Sun Dec 26 17:53:09 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave F." <davefox at madasafish.com>
To: <talk-GB at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 26, 2010 1:42 PM
Subject: [Talk-GB] Street name disagreement - whose right or wrong?

> Hi
>
> I have a street in my area whose name is being contest by another mapper.
> To prevent it reducing to a tit-for-tat retaliations I'd thought it best
> to get it adjudicated here.
>
> I think it's X because it signed on the ground & in OS Locator as such.
>
> He thinks it's Y because "Royal Mail PAF and Land Registry say Y"
>
> AFAIK the PAF isn't publicly accessible so can't be verified (maybe he's a
> postman?).
>
> I didn't know that the Land Registry had such information.
>
> I've contacted him asking for verification.
>
> Are OSM allowed to use data from these organizations?
>
> Who do you think is correct?
>
> Any other information or comments welcome?

Can you ask any long term residents of the street?  Simply because a
roadsign says it's a certain name doesn't necesraily mean its right.

There's one road locally which when I started mapping was "Bully's Hill" on
the roadsign, and a year ago the signed chnnged to "Bulleys Hill".  Clearly
both signs cant be correct

There's another local road which I had always known as Carpenters Road,  the
farm which is along the road is Carpenters Fram, the latest road sign
however says "Carpenter Road".  I checked with someone who had lived in the
village 60 years and they confirmed its name as Carpenters Road.

Moral: dont always trust the signs

David