[Talk-GB] Street name disagreement - whose right or wrong?

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Wed Dec 29 20:15:56 GMT 2010

Dave F. <davefox at ...> writes:

>I think it's X because it signed on the ground & in OS Locator as such.
>
>He thinks it's Y because "Royal Mail PAF and Land Registry say Y"

There are a couple of other pieces of evidence you could collect:

- What do residents of the street say?

- What is the postal address for some of the doors giving on to this street?
  (If the PAF says one thing but Royal Mail don't actually follow the PAF when
  delivering the post, then I think we can discount it.)

- Contact the council's naming department and ask them if the street sign is
  in error.

I would not formulate any hard and fast rule about one source automatically
having higher priority than another, rather I think you have to gather all the
available information and make a judgement in each individual case.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>