[Talk-GB] Two dozen mapping parties

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Feb 18 13:29:02 GMT 2010

>We also should think "themes". Presently our mapping parties have
>principally been focused on "the map". If on the other hand you set up a
>mapping party for a particular group of people, then you can map
something
>of common interest. The roads will get done as a by product. In this way
we
>reach out to some new groups. These events don't always need to be on the
>ground either, some, like our West Midlands gritting routes, just needed
>communication and a social or two to work.

What I would like to do this year is not so much a single party, but more
a project - to map every public footpath in Hampshire by the end of the
summer. Hampshire is already well done in parts (notably south and east
Hampshire) but other bits are much sketchier. What I might do is put up a
wiki page on this to see how much interest there is - if every
Hampshire-based mapper did a bit, and focused on areas accessible to them
(e.g. I'm restricted to areas accessible by public transport) I reckon we
could get them done by the end of September.

It would be really great to get all the footpaths of a county (and I mean
a sizeable, rural one...) done.

Nick