[Talk-GB] Looking for places to map?

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Thu Feb 25 07:53:08 GMT 2010

On 25 February 2010 03:30, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:
> On 24 February 2010 01:16, Peter Reed <peter.reed at aligre.co.uk> wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> It needn't be parishes. For population data it looks as though I can get
>> down to ward level with up-to-date numbers from ONS.
>> http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/Product.asp?vlnk=13893
>>
>> Looking at the ONS lists there are about 9,000 wards in England (and about
>> 10,000 parishes). It's going to take a while to trace them all!
>>
>> More importantly it seems to me that this will only work when the boundaries
>> are meaningful to the community at large. I used the term "settlement" in
>> that sense, as a loose catchall for any city, town, village, or suburb that
>> was meaningful. The Opencyclemap locations seem to take a similar approach,
>> and seemed like a good starting point.
>>
>> As an example, from the ONS lists, in Medway the wards are:
>>
>> Chatham Central
>> Cuxton and Halling
>> Gillingham North
>> Gillingham South
>> Hempstead and Wigmore
>> Lordswood and Capstone
>> Luton and Wayfield
>> Peninsula
>> Princes Park
>> Rainham Central
>> Rainham North
>> Rainham South
>> River
>> Rochester East
>> Rochester South and Horsted
>> Rochester West
>> Strood North
>> Strood Rural
>> Strood South
>> Twydall
>> Walderslade
>> Watling
>>
>> I don't know the Medway area, so I'm not sure how these wards translate into
>> "settlements" - but my guess from the names is that Gillingham, Rainham,
>> Rochester and Strood are "settlements" that are subdivided into smaller
>> wards. Cuxton, Halling, Lordswood and so on look like smaller settlements
>> that have been combined into wards, and some of the others (Peninsula,
>> River) might not correspond to a settlement or suburb of a settlement that
>> people would recognise. That seems to be the kind of mix we have round here.
>>

> You can say that again. says he who lives in Medway,
>
> I live in Wainscott, a small village on the edge of Strood, The area
> is known as Frinsbury Extra, an area not on your list....
>
> Taking Strood as an example. This list gives Strood North, Rural, and
> South, Most of us locals would translate that to,
>
> South - Historically Strood Proper. Darnley Road Estate (South,
> anything south of the A2)
> North - Frinsbury (anything north of the A2)
> Rural, Who knows, Probably another name for Frinsbury Extra. Which
> starts is the bit north of Bill Street/Cooling Road(B2000) but within
> the A289 Ring Road, Give or take.
>
> Peninsula at a guess is Hoo, anything outside the A289 Ring Road. on
> the Grain Peninsula.
>
> Peter.

> [...]

Thinking about this probably the best way to collect this data is to
map who has there rubbish collected on which day of the week and map
that. Round here Recycling is collected Fortnightly and Brown waste
the other week, and different areas are done on different days of the
week.

Better still we could map the rubbish collection routes and tag that
as well. But I'm not sure I've got the time to rush around every day
at 7am to see who has their rubbish out.

Peter.