[Talk-GB] Looking for places to map?

Andrew M. Bishop amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 27 13:15:44 GMT 2010

Steve Doerr <steve.doerr at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> On 23/02/2010 20:51, Ed Loach wrote:
>> Can I just add that it is also best to document the relation numbers
>> of boundaries somewhere fairly obvious on the wiki, to try and
>> prevent duplicate relations appearing for the same boundary.
>>
>> So for example, all the Essex districts have their relations
>> documented on the Essex wiki page:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Essex
>>

> Is there a (non-techy) way of searching for boundary relations in a given area?

One thing that might be useful for this in the UK is my recently
updated web page:

http://www.gedanken.org.uk/mapping/osm-boundaries/

This contains all UK boundary relations and allows filtering by type
('boundary' tag) and administrative level ('admin_level' tag) and
limiting them to those that overlap the selected map area.  Clicking
on a boundary in the results list will give you the important tags and
tell you the number of ways and nodes it contains, its length and its
shape (open, closed, branched).  You can also add them to the map or
download a GPX trace for them.

One thing that has surprised me is that there are relatively few
boundaries that form closed loops, many are open (linear with two
ends), broken (multiple linear sections) or branched (include at least
one three-way junction).

--
Andrew.
Andrew M. Bishop                             amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk