[Talk-GB] rendering locks

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Sat Feb 27 19:03:31 GMT 2010

Have submitted mapnik patches to SVN to render locks but unfortunately there isn't a standard way of tagging that makes it easy to be comprehensive.
I have dealt with what I think are the two most logical options, which are:

two nodes with waterway=lock_gate at either end of a way tagged waterway=canal;lock=yes

and

single node with waterway=lock OR lock=yes (with lock-gates not mapped)

This seems to fit with http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lock

There are other variants in place (and I haven't look too hard).
For instance at Tardebigge
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.31229&lon=-2.03814&zoom=17&layers=0B00FTF
there is  a variant to the east of Upper Gambolds bridge that has an extra node for the lock which will throw the submitted rendering.

Does anyone want to try to help me to get a simplified schema that will cover most options and allow sensible rendering?
Yes, I know there are variants like lock pounds, and multiple locks whose top gate is the bottom of the next, etc.

I could go round changing any instances I find that don't match the two options above but would like any interested parties' thoughts first off.

PS: deliberately not tried to render locks before because of inability to render icons (eg a traditional lock arrow) at the angle of the way they are on. So have used a round icon for the moment. Any thoughts on that welcome too.

Cheers
STEVE