[Talk-GB] rendering locks

Sun Feb 28 12:32:59 GMT 2010

Steve Chilton wrote:
> two nodes with waterway=lock_gate at either end of a way tagged
> waterway=canal;lock=yes
>	 and
> single node with waterway=lock OR lock=yes (with lock-gates not
> mapped)

These are definitely sensible. (I have a preference for the latter on
the UK canal system.)

I think in time we may need to map some locks as areas, though in
Britain there aren't that many big enough to justify the treatment.
Eastham Lock certainly is!

> PS: deliberately not tried to render locks before because of
> inability to render icons (eg a traditional lock arrow) at the angle
> of the way they are on. So have used a round icon for the moment. Any
> thoughts on that welcome too.

I'd have asked Artem about that in the pub on Friday if I'd thought. :)

Could you do it with a label?

In other words, render a faux '>' label (maybe in a custom font). That
will be aligned to the path of the way, just as road names are. I guess
it might prove a problem if Mapnik decides it'd be rendered upside down
and therefore shows it the other way up, though...

cheers
Richard