[Talk-GB] Yet another trunk road query - A495

Fri Jan 1 23:09:04 GMT 2010

brenda cameron wrote:
> Having confirmed that the A495 is correctly tagged as 'trunk' I propose
> adding another tag, 'bicycle=yes'.
>
> The reason involves openmtbmap and perhaps other bicycle oriented maps. It
> currently blocks all trunk roads to autorouting, while allowing primary
> roads. The author has indicated that he will include trunk roads if
> "tagged bicycle=yes and motorroad=yes is not present. I will not do this
> for highway=motorway."
> (ref http://openmtbmap.org/about/autorouting/#comments)

The author of openmtbmap is at fault, not you. There is absolutely no
presumption that highway=trunk implies bicycle=no.

Don't change your tagging: encourage others to create a cycle map which
does not have the faulty assumptions of the openmtbmap author. Sadly he
refuses to open-source his code
(http://openmtbmap.org/faq/#i-would-like-to-have-a-look-into-the-style-file-for-mkgmap),
which is entirely his prerogative but a shame nonetheless.

cyclestreets.net, which is the best-known UK OSM cycling router, does
not ban trunk roads like openmtbmap appears to.

(/me makes note to generate and upload new version of my Garmin cyclemap...)

cheers
Richard