[Talk-GB] 200,060

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 4 00:44:17 GMT 2010

Dave F. wrote:
>Sent: 03 January 2010 3:00 PM
>To: Bob Kerr
>Cc: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] 200,060
>
>Bob Kerr wrote:
>> We are now over the 200,000 mark
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/stats/data_stats.html
>>
>> happy new year
>>
>> Bob
>>

>Thanks Bob
>
>A couple of questions:
>
>You posted to talk-GB but I assume this is world wide stats, yes?
>
>200,000 sounds good but how many of these are active users?

About a quarter have edited something.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Osmdbstats10.png

>Disappointingly many users in my vicinity sign up, log on, add a couple
>of POI's (often in the incorrect place) & the never return.

That's typical generally

>Is there a way to discern which of the prolific editors of script bots &
>which are manual?

Nope, though you can make an educated guess on the basis that its not
humanly possible to edit faster than a certain speed.

>I notice the 'Number of users editing over the past...' section but the
>data says GPX files & not number of users.
>Is there a way to find the number of consistent editors say over the
>past month or so?
>This would give a clearer understanding of who's using OSM.

The other graphs on the graphical stats page may give you a clue

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stats#Database_Statistics_-_Graphical

Cheers

Andy