[Talk-GB] OS Free

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Jan 4 10:05:06 GMT 2010

2010/1/4 Brian Prangle <bprangle at googlemail.com>

> The OS disccussion paper was published on 23 December and it proposes a
> wide ranging business and organisational change to the OS. In its section
> reviewing the market changes and pressure the OS are under it fails to
> mention OSM. Is this something we should address?

I posted this a while back with little response.

I think the OSMF should definitely submit a response which we can discuss
here, and which the OSMF members can vote on (or whatever the OSMF procedure
is).

My view is that the OSMF response should at a minimum encourage the release
of as much data as possible; address the licensing question to ensure
compatability; encourage timely releases of data in suitable formats; and
cite some case studies where other comparable data sets have been imported
into OSM.

With this mass of data being released will we in the UK be become script
> authors concerned with data imports with less relevance (or desire) to do
> ground surveys?

I'm sure we must collect data not held by OS, and I'm fairly confident that
the Government won't force the release of as much data as we'd like.

Tom