[Talk-GB] POI's for mass import?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 8 17:15:03 GMT 2010

On 08/01/2010 15:25, Dave F. wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm aware that bus stop data is being mass imported but are there any
> other similar data sets?
> Such as post boxes&  public telephones etc?

For postboxes, see this website:
http://www.dracos.co.uk/play/locating-postboxes/
This is using a list from Royal Mail, provided under a freedom of
information request. Royal Mail claimed they don't have coordinates /
grid refs for any postboxes, just the street names / descriptions in
that list. See
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/location_of_every_post_box_that

Also, that list is probably copyrighted, so you shouldn't copy from it
to add postboxes to OSM. But you can use it as a checklist, to find
where you need to look for postboxes to survey.
Also, IME the list is not always accurate, quite a few of refs are
wrong, and some postboxes are now missing etc. So better to survey them
anyway.

I don't know of anything happening with phone boxes. You could try
asking BT if they have a list / coordinates, and if they would release
it under a suitable license for OSM.

Craig