[Talk-GB] Capturing hedgerows

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Jan 12 18:52:25 GMT 2010

Guy Collins wrote:
> In and around the village of Bere Alston in West Devon many field boudnaries in the form of hedgerows have been mapped from Yahoo and the recently
> uploaded 1:25k Ordnance Survey mapping. The latter has proved very useful in this case as the Yahoo! imagery for this area was covered in cloud cover.

Be aware that the 1:25k's are 50 years out of date. Even Yahoo! is 5
years(?) old. It's surprising how quickly hedgerows disappear, or in
recent times, appear.
Also I think you've missed a couple where they disappear under the
labeling on the 1:25k.

> By using both sources the field boundaries have been largely completed in this area. This could be used as a show case for rural mapping.

It's certainly a good start. Naming of streams, if they have one,
Adding/naming farmyards, woods etc would advance it along nicely.
I notice you tagged some areas as forest when they're labeled as woods
on the 1:25k.

I also think that labeling any wood in the UK as natural is incorrect,
but I'll put that forward for discussion in a separate thread...

Cheers
Dave F.