[Talk-GB] OS 1:25000 out of copyright maps and WMS url

Bob Hawkins bobhawkins at waitrose.com
Wed Jan 13 15:03:54 GMT 2010

I have been following the progress of the availability of OS 1:25000 out of copyright maps for use with OSM with interest.  I can see coverage of Maidenhead, for example, at http://ooc.openstreetmap.org/?zoom=15&lat=54.77184&lon=-1.57483&layers=00B0.  I read Andy Robinson's Talk-GB contribution of October 6th where he writes, "The first full sheet (NX88 NW or Dumfries [2]) is available for you to try out in JOSM [3]. Just add the URL as a custom WMS.".  I copied the url in its entirety (not fully understanding these matters, I readily confess), omitting the quotation marks, and pasted it as a new entry into JOSM's WMS Plugin Preferences.  However, after opening up an area of Maidenhead in JOSM and selecting my new OS 1:25000 plugin, I am presented with the red background and "Exception occurred" note.  Clearly I have done something wrong and should appreciate someone's assistance.

At the same time, I should be grateful for details of places to find further information relating to this project.