[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey response

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Thu Jan 14 15:13:14 GMT 2010

Dave Stubbs wrote:
>> "Free release of the raster products would also harm public perceptions
>> of Ordnance Survey."
>>
>> The perception of OS is that they're data hoarders (which the tax payer
>> payed for) in the belief that 'knowledge is power'
>>

> Umm, no. The public perception
You're right for the vast majority, although a minority of us do.
> of the OS is that they make pretty maps
> of the country side so that you can tell where you are when you go
> walking.

Which is a reason why I'm surprised Richard F. has taken this standpoint.
With the release of 1:25k data, websites become free, of a charge &/or
advertising, & printed maps become much cheaper (depending on which
license it's released under after the consultation).

What's not to like!

Cheers
Dave F.