[Talk-GB] Place names for housing estates

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Jan 14 16:06:52 GMT 2010

I've been following the wiki guidance to use "place=locality" for housing
estates, which others seem to have used around my area.

The only problem is that they render on quite low zoom levels, obscuring
road names when they're not all that useful. For example:
http://osm.org/go/euuvMG@d-
http://osm.org/go/euuvXSWu-

I can see that a really large housing estate might be useful to mark at that
level, so I'm unsure as to whether we need a simple change to the Mapnik
stylesheet (so they only show up from, say, level 16) or two different tags
(one for small estates nestled away, another for the really large sprawling
estates that are like mini villages).

What do others think, and do?

Tom