[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey response

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Thu Jan 14 19:31:45 GMT 2010

David Earl wrote:
> On 14/01/2010 18:27, Dave F. wrote:
>> Andy, The taxpayers have already paid for it, many times over. I resent
>> having to pay £7.50 for a map I've already financed to construct.
>> As I've paid for it, I think it should be given to me free of charge.
>
> For a paper map, I think not. You've helped pay for the data
> collection and technology, but not for the printing and paper etc for
> your particular map. As the printing is to a particularly high
> standard, and in 6 colour, I'm sure that is a very substantial part of
> the cost (and of course, probably half the selling price is from the
> retailer's markup anyway).
Yes, in a previous post, I did intimate that it a printed copy would
cost, but be cheaper.
However I fully disagree with you on the print quality, especially the
1:25k. Cheaper paper, thickness of lines (footpaths, & contours) etc.
Also I personally think they've been putting too much info, such as the
blue 'touristy' symbols which often block information under.

The 7th series was much easier to read.

Cheers
Dave F.