[Talk-GB] 10 Ways To Promote OSM in 2010

Guy Collins gugym at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 15 20:36:10 GMT 2010

Here's a list of ideas to promote OSM to a wider audience. Maybe your home area is well mapped and now all you need is some people to use
and appreciate your mapping endevours? Here is a suggestion of what we could do to promote the mapping. I have been trying to do this in my
area and am finding that there is an interest but we may have to work at it to really get people to use OSM.

1. Promote maps for special interest groups such as sports or community groups.
2. Provide fliers for a particular location.
3. In Germany a Pizza delivery company was used to distribute leaflets about OSM.
4. Friends - if you have visitors coming to stay print out or send a link of OSM showing your address.
5. Professional societies - perhaps would be interested to learn of OSM and how they may use it.
6. Use social media (e.g. Twitter etc.).
7. Universities and schools could OSM benefit in their geography departments?
8. At work - share OSM with your colleagues.
9. Through businesses - promote maps of their business premises to them.
10. Clubs may appreciate some free mapping to help publicise their next event or their regular meeting place to new members.

I'm sure there are many other ways to promote ourselves? Happy promoting this year!