[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey response

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Mon Jan 18 16:21:05 GMT 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Andy Allan wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
>
>> "Though custom cartography is the right answer for many applications, it
>> will find it difficult to compete with the free, universally-recognised
>> cartography of the OS."
>>
>> Are you saying you want to prevent these releases to protect the likes
>> of OSM?
>>
>> Competition leads to improved services through innovation.
>
> Ah, but you need to consider this not simply as competition, but as
> state-funded destruction of a competitive market. Tax-payers money
> would be being ploughed into producing raster maps, which are then
> given away well below production cost in order to destroy the
> businesses of other companies and individuals. Anyone trying to
> compete would be up against the government who aren't trying to cover
> their costs - pretty hard to compete with, and not really a level
> playing field.

Well, it also damages the OS in that Richard thinks they'll lose 9 million quid, or about 10% of their income from what I remember.

I think you have the wrong vision that you'll be competing with free maps, just the same as the big guys are terrified of competing with a free OSM. The value just moves to more interesting things up the stack.

You also ignore the potential it has to enlarge the market, and thus bring in more paying consumers.

Have you guys read "Free" by Chris Anderson yet?

Yours &c.

Steve