[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey response (again)

Tue Jan 19 13:51:54 GMT 2010

I wouldn't for a moment expect everyone to agree on the 1:25k and
1:50k stuff. That's ok, you have the right to be wrong <grins, ducks
and runs>

But, more seriously, I would draw your attention away from that and to
the point about the Ordnance Survey's aerial imagery:

- OS has good aerial imagery
- OSM, Google Earth etc. demonstrate that tracing from aerial imagery
is "additive" rather than "subtractive" - i.e. people like us often
trace things that the professional surveyors don't
- OS doesn't need to fully release aerial imagery for it to be useful:
they can simply "do a Yahoo" and enable others to trace from it via an
API, as long as there are no restrictions on derived data

To my mind this could, and should, potentially be the biggest gain for
OSM from the whole exercise.

If one bloke living in deepest darkest Charlbury says "you should do
this" then DCLG is quite at liberty to say "yeah yeah yeah" and ignore
the suggestion. But if lots of people ask, they will at least consider
it.

This is actually the sort of suggestion that works well in
consultations - there's virtually no downside (OS and Getmapping still
retain their business model), a lot of up, and good PR value.

cheers
Richard