[Talk-GB] OS 1:25K tracing

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Jan 21 22:53:09 GMT 2010

Since the out of copyright 1:25K maps appeared, there has been rather a
lot of tracing going on.  On the whole, I think the availability of this
data is good.  However, I have noticed that around the Gower peninsula,
quite a few nonexistent roads, etc. have appeared and have been attributed
to these maps.

I'd like to take the opportunity to point out that blindly tracing fairly
old maps without doing any kind of a survey is pretty counterproductive -
someone now has to go around and survey and delete these bogus features.

By all means, trace the maps to add stuff you know is there, but please
don't just trace everything without some local knowledge.

--

  - Steve