[Talk-GB] Bracknell Forest - vandalism?

Nick Austin nick.w.austin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 14:37:38 GMT 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Tom Sutch <tom at oketchup.co.uk> wrote:
> While browsing around Bracknell Forest I noticed that someone with a
> rather puerile sense of humour has christened many of the paths and
> tracks:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.37949&lon=-0.76253&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF
>
> Not sure whether this is vandalism or just a bit of 'fun' (I suspect
> the latter). I would go through and just remove all the names but I
> don't have sufficient local knowledge to determine which are genuine (I
> know The Devil's Highway is right, and I'm pretty sure that Poo Alley is
> wrong, but Ladies Mile could be either). Would anyone be able to help?

I used to live near there and went walking in those woods.  The paths
in the forest are not signposted so unless they were genuinely derived
from "local knowledge" they would have come from a copyrighted source.

For the moment do nothing.  There are scripts for handling copyright
violations & vandalism that can revert an entire changeset in one go
(i.e. an entire edit session).  The scripts only work if there are no
further edits on the ways & nodes in the changeset.

I believe this is the user responsible:
 http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/barny1

His recent edits seem reasonable.  I'm currently on a mobile internet
connection so it's difficult for me to investigate further at the
moment.  My suggestion is that you review each changeset and compile a
list of those changesets that are suspect so that we know the extent
of the problem.  You also might want to send a message to him.  If the
names are genuine then adding a 'source' tag would avoid future
concerns.

Nick.