[Talk-GB] Paths and footways

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Thu Jul 1 11:30:26 BST 2010

Dave F. <davefox at ...> writes:

>>I use footway for surfaced paths and path for unsurfaced,
>
>This is, IMO, incorrect usage. the primary tag should be used to declare
>it's legal status (am I allowed down to go down that path) & secondary
>tags such as 'surface' the physical condition of the way (am I able to
>get down that path)

But there are already unambiguous tags to indicate legal status (designation=
public_footpath) and others (not quite as black-and-white, but still good)
to indicate whether you're 'allowed' (access=permissive etc).

The primary tag must be what exists on the ground.  There could be surfaced
footways on a military base, for example, which nobody but authorized personnel
may use; but still they would be highway=footway, with other tags indicating
access.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>