[Talk-GB] Strange Search Result in Devon or should that be Kelland Cross?

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Tue Jul 6 08:53:00 BST 2010

Jonathan Bennett <openstreetmap at ...> writes:

>http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=12741345
>
>Kelland Cross has been tagged as place=region, which isn't right -- a
>region is something more like the South West. I've changed it to
>place=locality

In fact, I don't think it should even be that.  In rural Devon it is common for
crossroads to be named - you can see the name on the side of the crossroad sign.
This doesn't necessarily indicate a 'locality', although sometimes there are
small villages or hamlets named after a crossroads.

The normal way I tag such things is to add a name tag to the intersection node.
At the moment Mapnik doesn't render them, but I think I will file an enhancement
request for that.

I don't have local knowledge of this particular place - from a web search
it appears to me that it should just be a named crossroads rather than a
locality, but I'll leave it to others to retag if necessary.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>