[Talk-GB] Map layer with OS Locator comparison from ITO - handling already-tagged fixmes

Tom Evans tom.evans.a at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 09:19:31 BST 2010

> Often when OS and OSM disagree I will tag this in the OSM database with a note
> such as
>
>      FIXME=Check name - OSM has Marefield Gardens, OS has Maresfield Gardens
>
> Usually I will also delete the name= tag, so that the street shows up in noname
> checks to be resurveyed (and because the correct name is unknown).

Isn't that last act a little rash?

You then create a system where somebody goes out and maps stuff, but
then whenever we have another source (of which there are a growing
number) which disagrees, data gets cleared, then maybe restored later
after somebody goes out there again?  How about in any case of
disagreement you flag it, but leave the data *exactly as it is* until
someone can go and check it?

Apart from anything else, there are people *using* OSM data (me for
one).  If they look at the main site, or a Garmin map generated while
the name was removed, what do they get?  In this case, you've just
removed a useful street name because you had a small doubt that it
wasn't perfect.

As another suggestion: Is there a special tag we can add to force it to
highlight on the noname check without actually destroying the name tag?

Tom