[Talk-GB] “Correcting” existing data with OS Opendata

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Jul 19 22:18:45 BST 2010

  On 18/07/2010 13:54, Simon Ward wrote:
> I just added a comment to the talk page about OS Opendata[1]:  It seems
> that some people have been using OS Opendata to “correct” existing data,
> moving ways to match OS Opendata, and in some cases removing attributes
> (such as surface=paved).
>
> Please, please, please, pretty please don’t just assume your data is
> better than the existing data, especially if yours is derived from
> another source and the existing data is from a ground survey.

Hi Simon

In principle I understand what your saying & agree to some extent;
except that I think it's incorrect to assume that on ground surveying is
necessarily more accurate. GPS tracks are prone to being sent off course
by the surroundings such as heavy tree coverage & steep topography. In
these cases the maps are probably more accurate.

Good local knowledge is essential for accurate mapping which is why I
feel unsure about amending others traces if I don't know the area,
preferring just to add ways that hadn't previously been mapped.

Cheers
Dave F.